Complaints Procedure

KJ Cox is committed to providing a high-quality legal service.  However, if something has gone wrong and you feel the need to complain, this is the procedure to follow:

How to make a complaint?

In the first instance, please contact me by telephone on 07377 397318 or email to or by post to 29 Church Lane, Holybourne, Nr Alton, Hampshire, GU34 4HD.

To help me to understand your complaint, please provide:

  • your full name and contact details
  • what you are unhappy with
  • how you would like your complaint to be resolved, and
  • your file reference number (if you have it)

How will you deal with my complaint?

I will write to you within seven working days, acknowledging your complaint, enclosing a copy of this complaints policy.

I will investigate your complaint, which usually involves: reviewing your complaint; reviewing your file(s) and any other relevant documents;

I may also need to ask you for further information or documents. If so, I will ask you to provide the information within a specific period of time.

I may also, if appropriate, invite you to a meeting to discuss your complaint in person.  You do not have to attend if you do not wish, or if you are unable to. I will also be happy to discuss the matter with you over the telephone or video conference.

Following initial review of your complaint, I will write to you to tell you what I have done and what I propose to do to resolve your complaint. Where possible, I will aim to do this within 21 days of the date of our initial letter of acknowledgement.

What to do if your complaint cannot be resolved

I will strive to resolve your complaint within eight weeks.  If I am unable to do so within this time, you may be able to complain to the Legal Ombudsman. The Legal Ombudsman will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your matter.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint directly with me first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:-

  • within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint: and
  • no more than six years from the date of the act/omission; or
  • no more than three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman please contact them:


By post:            PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ

By telephone:    0300 555 0333 between 9am and 5pm, or

By email: 

Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) bodies also exist which are competent to deal with complaints about legal services should both you and I wish to use such a scheme.

What will it cost?

I will not charge you for handling your complaint, but please note that if I have issued a bill for work done on the matter, and all or some of the bill is not paid, I may be entitled to charge interest on the amount outstanding. This is explained in my Terms of Business.

The Legal Ombudsman service is free of charge.

Scroll to Top